Culturally Competent Healthcare
WHAT IS CULTURAL COMPETENCY?
Cultural and linguistic competence is a set of congruent behaviors, attitudes, and policies that come together in a system, agency, or among professionals that enables effective work in cross-cultural situations. “Culture” refers to integrated patterns of human behavior that include the language, thoughts, communications, actions, customs, beliefs, values, and institutions of racial, ethnic, religious, or social groups. “Competence” implies having the capacity to function effectively as an individual and an organization within the context of the cultural beliefs, behaviors, and needs presented by consumers and their communities. (Adapted from Cross, 1989). (The Office of Minority Health, 2005)
Collaborate and develop partnerships throughout the facility to promote family centered care.
Recommend solutions (or refinements) to existing programs, services, policies, and/or business strategies that are effective in meeting the needs of patients and families.
Strengthen relationships between Prowers Medical Center and the community; to serve as a vital link between hospital and the community.
Contribute to ongoing cultural competency education within Prowers Medical Center.
The Roles and Responsibilities of the Cultural Competency Advisory Committee (CCAC) are developed to ensure that the Healthcare Team at Prowers Medical Center will provide culturally appropriate and sensitive care throughout the organization. Mechanisms developed by the Committee as well as throughout the organization to ensure that this mindset is carried out include:
- To serve as a voice for the patients and their families to improve their experience, as well as to ensure their voices are heard
- To collect and maintain accurate and reliable demographic data to monitor and evaluate the impact of CLAS on health equity and reduce disparities to improve health outcomes
- To assist in creating an organizational culture that is responsive, efficient, and effective in providing services while staying accountable to the community
- To facilitate open and transparent two-way communication feedback mechanisms to enhance the resolution of conflicts and grievances within the organization and community
- To increase the capacity of staff to provide services that are culturally and linguistically appropriate
- To support a workforce that demonstrates the attitudes, knowledge, and skills necessary to work effectively with diverse populations
- To increase the quality of service, satisfaction, and safety of patients and customers
- To encourage team members from multiple levels within the organization to join and participate in the CCAC to ensure sustainability
- To inform staff of CCAC meetings, trainings, and celebrations of successes
- To document progress and lessons learned from experiences to allow the CCAC to respond to the needs of the organization
EDUCATIONAL ARTICLES OF INTEREST
401 Kendall Drive
Lamar CO 81052
Phone: (719) 336-4343